Our Commitment to Your Privacy
At Choice in Health Clinic, we collect your personal health information directly from you or from a person acting on your behalf. The personal health information we collect may include, for example, your contact information, medical history, records of prior visits to our clinic and the care you received during those visits. Occasionally, we may also collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you in the best possible way
- get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, UHIP and IFH program) plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- conduct quality improvement activities
- train our staff and physicians
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements. The following are some examples of this situation:
- Example 1 If your sexually transmitted infection tests are positive, we are obligated to report to the local public health department, as mandated by the Health Protection and Promotion Act, 1990
- Example 2 If you are under the age of 16 and you tell us or we have reasonable grounds to suspect that you are being abused or neglected by a parent or person who is in charge of your care, we must report this to the Childrens Aid Society, as mandated by the Child and Family Services Act, 1990
- Fulfill other purposes or as required by law, e.g., if your records are subpoenaed by a court of law
If you would like to access your health record, you may request to arrange a time when a care provider can review your entire record with you.
If you believe that the personal health information we have recorded about you is inaccurate or incomplete, please raise this with your care provider or write to our privacy officer. Corrections or additions may be made by clinic staff and these will become part of your record.
We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
Unless we have your permission, you can be assured that:
We will not disclose information about your appointment or care with us to any person other than you.
We will not confirm or deny over the telephone whether you are in our clinic.
We will not send copies of your record to any other person.
How to Contact Us
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern about our practices, contact us at:
The Privacy Officer
Choice in Health Clinic
1678 Bloor Street West, Suite 301
Toronto, ON M6P 1A9
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a complaint lodged with Choice in Health Clinics privacy officer, it is your right to make a complaint to the commissioner:
Information and Privacy Commissioner
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Toll free: 1-800-387-0073